North Carolina has a new opportunity to make sure that both the health and wealth of our state recovers from the pandemic!
By expanding Medicaid, North Carolina can gain an extra $1.7 billion in federal dollars for two years and more than 600,000 people could see a family doctor.1
A great deal got even better!
Under the American Rescue Plan, North Carolina can get at least $1.7 BILLION from the federal government to expand Medicaid ON TOP of the federal government paying 90% of the cost for expansion forever!
- More than 1in 10 North Carolinians can’t see a medical doctor2
- Mental health concerns and substance use disorders are on the rise with COVID-19
- 1 in 3 North Carolinians have reported feeling symptoms related to anxiety or depression since April 20203
- There has been a 15% increase in ER visits for substance use or binge drinking4
- In May 2020 there were 828 Emergency Department visits due to opioid overdose, compared to 658 in May 2019. This represents a 25% increase5
Expanding Medicaid is Health Justice
Only 2% of justice-involved people are eligible for Medicaid as it is now6
- 71% of people in NC prisons need long-term substance use disorder treatment and 65% have a mental illness7
- Upon release, an estimated 90% are uninsured8
NOW IS THE TIME FOR NC TO EXPAND MEDICAID!
TAKE ACTION TODAY and Contact your Legislator to Urge them to Expand Medicaid!
- Opioid Overdose ED Visits. Injury Free NC; NC DHHS https://www.injuryfreenc.ncdhhs.gov/DataSurveillance/
- U.S. Government Accountability Office. Medicaid: Information on Inmate Eligibility and Federal Costs for Allowable Services. 2014. https://www.gao.gov/products/gao-14-752r
- Zaller, N. Cloud, D. Brinkley-Rubinstein, L. Martino, S. Bouvier, B. Brockman, B. The importance of Medicaid expansion for criminal justice populations in the South. 2017.