Personal Education Plans

How PEPs can help struggling students achieve academic success

In an effort to ensure that all children get a quality education, North Carolina administers end-of-grade (EOG) and end-of-course (EOC) tests. These tests are designed to determine if each student has learned what he needs to know to move to the next grade. They also help identify students who need extra attention.

Under North Carolina law, any child who does not meet grade-level proficiency (scores a Level I or Level II on EOG or EOC tests) is eligible for a Personal Education Plan (PEP). PEPs aid parents, teachers and administrators in planning out the special interventions a student needs. These interventions can include, but are not limited to, smaller classes, tutorial sessions, extended school day, and alternative learning models.

How to Get a PEP

If a child scores a I or II on his end-of-grade tests, his parents should call the principal and say they want a PEP for their child. Schools must develop and follow these plans in accordance with North Carolina law and the state constitution.

In addition, parents should be involved in the development of the PEP and should get a copy of the final document. Parents should work with their child’s teachers to determine how the PEP is implemented.

If a parent has difficulty getting a PEP for an eligible child, he should call his local Legal Aid of NC office ( or Jack Holtzman, Justice Center staff attorney, at 919-856-2165 or

Other Resources

Read A Parent's Guide to a Personal Education Plan (PEP) for Your Child here. This guidebook was prepared to serve as a tool to help parents and guardians become informed about a law that requires schools to develop a PEP for children experiencing academic problems.

<< Back