Take Action: Contact your legislators now!
We need the NC General Assembly to act now to make these changes to our state’s Unemployment Insurance System. The state’s rules around Unemployment Insurance has made the program less effective during this pandemic because it provides too little for too few weeks to too few North Carolinians.
LEARN MORE ABOUT NC’S UNEMPLOYMENT SYSTEM
- Unemployment insurance changes needed in North Carolina
- BTC Report: Unemployment Insurance will strengthen recovery from COVID-19
- Prosperity Watch: Women more likely than men to file for unemployment in 2020
- Lawmakers still need to address deficiencies of North Carolina’s unemployment system
- Specific upgrades NC should make to its unemployment insurance system
- Sound Unemployment Insurance that serves workers is critical
URGENT ACTION NEEDED TO HELP UNEMPLOYED CAROLINIANS
The $600 weekly federal emergency unemployment supplement has been keeping hundreds of thousands of North Carolina families afloat throughout the COVID crisis. Now that the Senate has allowed the federal supplement to expire, North Carolinians who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own are finding out that they can’t even come close to making ends meet with state benefits alone. The situation is growing desperate fast, as more and more unemployed people face utility shutoffs and even evictions.
Take action! Record your own video message and send it to Senators Thom Tillis and Richard Burr to let them know you are holding them accountable for leaving North Carolinians behind, and to demand that they push for an immediate extension of the $600 weekly supplemental benefit. Here are step-by-step instructions for how to make and share your video:
- Find a quiet, well-lit location.
- Using a smartphone or laptop with a camera, share your message to our Senators.
- If you yourself are experiencing unemployment, you can talk about what the federal supplement meant to you, what you’re receiving now, and how it’s impacted you and your family or household.
- If you aren’t unemployed, you can talk about how you feel about the suffering your fellow North Carolinians are experiencing because of federal inaction.
- Speak slowly and clearly. Keep your video to 30 seconds or less, and focus on the most important points: how this is affecting North Carolina, how you feel about the Senate’s inaction and what you want the Senators to do about it. Plan to do a few takes to get it the way you want it!
- When your video is ready, post it to your Twitter or Facebook account and tag Senators Tillis and Burr:
- Senator Tillis on Twitter: @thomtillis
- Senator Tillis on Facebook: @senatorthomtillis
- Senator Burr on Twitter: @senatorburr
- Senator Burr on Facebook: @senatorrichardburr
- You can also tag the NC Justice Center so we can retweet/repost your videos! On Twitter and Facebook: @ncjustice.